The Horton Law Group, P.A. handles the following types of Personal Injury and Tort Actions
- Automobile accidents Auto accident cases also include incidents involving boats, motorcycles, bicycles, commercial vehicles, golf carts and trucks. If you were in an accident that was caused by a third party and you were injured, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover damages.
- Premise liability cases. These cases occur when an incident occurs because of a dangerous condition on a property that the owner knew or should have known about. The most common type of premise liability is “slip and fall” cases. If you were injured in a slip and fall case, there are many things that you should do to help your case. You should report the accident to the property owner where you fell. Obtain a copy of the incident report. Seek medical treatment and obtain copies of all treatment notes. Obtain the names and numbers of all witnesses. Take photos of the property where you fell. Keep the shoes that you were wearing when you fell and put them in a sealed bag – DO NOT wash them or clean them. Take photos of your injuries and write a detailed summary of what happened. DO NOT talk about your case with the property owner or anyone affiliated with the property owner. DO NOT sign any Settlement Agreements and DO NOT accept cash or any checks without retaining a lawyer first. By doing so, you could waive your right to any recovery.
- Product Defect cases. There are essentially three types of produce defect cases.
- Manufacturer Defect types of cases occur when a manufacturer knowingly releases a defective product into the stream of commerce and the buyer of that product is injured.
- Failure to Warn cases involve proving (1) a manufacturer or distributor of the product at issue, and (2) the manufacturer did not adequately warn of a particular risk that was known or knowable in light of the generally recognized and prevailing best scientific and medical knowledge available at the time of the manufacture and distribution.” Small v Amgen, Inc., 134 F. Supp. 3d 1358, 1366 (M.D. Fla. 2015). “In order to prevail on a failure-to-warn claim, a plaintiff must establish the existence of a duty. A manufacturer’s duty to warn arises when there is a need to inform consumers of dangers of which they are unaware.” Cook v MillerCoors, LLC, 829 F. Supp. 1208, 1214 (M.D. Fla. 2011).
- Design Defect. A design defect is “a defect which render the product unreasonably dangerous.” Liggett Group, Inc. v. Davis, 973 So. 2d 467, 475 (Fla. 4th DCA 2007). “The defectiveness issue in both tests at issue is based on an objective standard and not the viewpoint of any particular consumer.” Liggett Group, Inc. v. Davis, 973 So. 2d 467, 475 (Fla. 4th DCA 2007).
- Dog Bite Cases. Florida is a “strict liability” state. This means if you own a dog or other animal, you are strictly liable for all injuries caused if your animal bites someone or hurts someone. (Florida Statute 767.04).
- Wrongful Death Cases. A surviving family member of a deceased family member has the legal right in the State of Florida to file a wrongful death action on the decedent’s behalf. The death must have been caused by the wrongful, negligent, careless, or reckless act of another person, company or municipality. (Florida Wrongful Death Statute.)
Why Hire the Horton Law Group, P.A?
The principal partner at the Horton Law Group, P.A., Attorney Sommer C. Horton, has been litigating cases for 20 years. She is an experienced and aggressive estate litigator. She is highly regarded for her creativeness, strategic judgment and her uncanny ability to deliver persuasive legal arguments in the courtroom. She has a tremendous skill for being an aggressive advocate for her clients, while being one who understands and appreciates how trying litigation can be, thus, she is extremely sensitive to her clients’ needs.
Ms. Horton is passionate about the law and believes in seeking justice for her clients in an ethical and economic manner. Ms. Horton fights for each and every one of her clients – every step of the way. Ms. Horton will spend time with you to make sure you understand the law and understand your rights.
The Horton Law Group, P.A. is a boutique civil litigation law firm that only takes on a limited number of cases so that personal attention can be given to every client. Make the right call – schedule a free 30-minute consultation with Ms. Horton. You can make an appointment by calling 561-299-0018 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.